The best Vitamin C serum & why I changed my mind!
It is interesting how much I have learned about skin care and its ingredients in my 8 years of blogging... and I am still learning. I have written a blog article in 2015 to reveal the best Vitamin C serum and back then I focused on these 6 questions:
- Does the product contain 20 % Vitamin C?
- Is the product reasonably priced?
- Does the packaging provide stability of the product?
- What is the consistency (gel, cream, liquid, oil)?
- Does the product have a scent?
- Does the product contain other beneficial (anti aging) ingredients?
In 2017 I updated that article also to clarify the difference of
- L-Ascorbic Acid (more acidic therefore better exfoliation, however can be more irritating for sensitive skin. Expires within 1-3 month.)
- Sodium Ascorbate: less acidic therefore less exfoliation, better suitable for sensitive skin. Very stable for up to 24 month.
But today I have to add another point- and I find honestly this point should be the No 1 question you should ask yourself:
Do you find the brand trustworthy?
I can't emphasize this enough! I have learned so much about skincare and honestly: today I find it more important that my skin care products come from a company that I trust.
I rather have a 12.5% Vitamin C serum from a company that I trust, than a 20% Vitamin C serum from a brand that I have never heard of. Because they could possibly just label it with 20%!!! Who knows?
Back in 2015 I did not pay any attention to the brand at all. All I wanted was: cheap and 20% Vitamin C lol!
So, what does make a brand trustworthy? This is ultimately up to you!
For me personally I prefer a brand that:
- preferably has been around for a couple years (it gives the brand more credibility)
- has shown integrity
- delivers good quality products, gets good ratings and reviews
- charges fair prices
- treats its customers well
- treats employees well
- does not create ads that sound to good to be true ("removes wrinkles within 7 days")
- Added bonus: gets involved in causes and issues I feel related too or has cruelty-free status.
Another point that I totally ignored in 2015 was: if the Vitamin C serum contains ingredients that are questionable (for example: parabens, phthalates, triclosan, artificial dyes)
So my new focus on finding the best Vitamin C serum is:
1. Is the brand trustworthy?
2. Is it a high quality Vitamin C serum (no questionable ingredients)?
And here are my 3 best Vitamin C serums for you!
1. Maelove The Glow Maker $27.95
This is my new favorite Vitamin C serum! It contains powerful 15% L-ascorbic acid, I can literally smell the oxidation process on my skin. It also includes Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid and Hyaluronic Acid.
Maelove is a skincare line founded by MIT grads in 2018 with a mission to make quality skincare accessible to everyone while keeping marketing costs low.
This serum contains Vitamin C in the form of Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate - however this is a great choice because it is much more stable than L-ascorbic acid. It also contains: Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe gel extract and Vitamin E.
Derma e is celebrating its 37 year anniversary- founded 1984. I highly recommend this serum and Derma e is definitely a brand that I trust and recommend 100%.
This serum contains 15% Vitamin C (in the form of L-Ascorbic Acid), Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E and Hyaluronic Acid. A fabulous choice!
Paula's Choice has been around sind 1995 is definitely a brand I trust and can recommend.
And there you have it! My new top 3 best Vitamin C serums!
Disclaimer: Contains Affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.