Makeup can quickly look tacky if applied wrong and some colors are harder to pull off than others, especially blue is a difficult color! And if you have on top of it blue eyes- oh oh! That can turn quickly into a 80s disco queen disaster- pair it with some pink lipstick and you will look like a hot cheap mess! So today I have some tips for you to pull off that blue eyeshadow without looking like from the 80s!
1. PICK THE RIGHT BLUEThe first thing is to pick the right color of blue for your eyes. A too light blue or a shimmery blue can be usually very dangerous. I recommend using a dark matte blue for any eye color (I used the Hard Candy eyeshadow palette in birthday suit).
2. DON´T OVERUSE THE BLUE EYESHADOWTo avoid a tacky look avoid applying the blue eyeshadow all over the lid. Start slowly with the tiniest amount of blue eyeshadow on your "outer V". You are creating a little triangle shape on the outside of your eyes. Gently blend the blue eyeshadow into your crease- but only halfway on your lid. You can also - ever so slightly- use a little blue eyeshadow on your lower lash line. Always smudge it out and blend, until you have no hard edges visible.
3. SOFTEN THE LOOK WITH A LIGHT LID COLORApply a very light eyeshadow (anything from white to cream or beige) on your moving lid avoiding to mess up the blue triangle you created.
4. BLEND OUT WITH A NEUTRAL COLORUse a light brown, taupe or orange color on your crease and blend it half way on your lid with the blue color.
5. KEEP THE LIPS NEUTRAL!Also important: keep the lips neutral- no red or pink lips as you already have so much color going on on your eyes! Any nude or brownish lip color or just a clear gloss will do. (I used the Ulta lip liner in flesh and a Bite Beauty lipstick in "date".)
So now you won´t look like a disco queen from the 80s anymore- but hey- maybe you like to look like one after all?! Tag me on Instagram if you try to re-create this look! ;-)